Welcome to the English Department!
WHY STUDY ENGLISH?
Let these famous people answer:
“Language is the means of getting an idea from my brain into yours without surgery.”
“Public speaking is the art of having everybody thinking you are talking to them.”
Dennis Van Gerven
“The more I read, the more I wanted to write. My imagination grew…”
“A person who can write a long letter with ease, cannot write ill.”
“If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.”
“Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. ( Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read).”
“The two most engaging powers of an author are to make new things familiar and familiar things new.”
“I had my first trip to the theatre…They were there, actually in front of me, being. There was no other word for it. Magic.”
SO, WE WANT…
- to enable students to use English in its written and spoken forms, with a care for content, accuracy and appropriateness;
- to develop the ability of students to engage with, respond to and enjoy poetry, prose and drama;
- to encourage students to understand and respond imaginatively and sensitively to what they hear, read and experience in a variety of media;
- to assist students to explore the cultures and experiences of their own and other societies, leading to emotional and intellectual growth,
- and to lay the foundations which will equip our students to take their place in adult life.
ABOVE ALL... we want you to be able to make English work for YOU!